Cool small dining room ideas for home
Recently I did some planning for the space for clients “empty nester”. Their children had all moved, but they were still coming back for family dinner and special occasions. This is all fine, but the “family” has gotten bigger with the addition of couples and grandchildren. It became increasingly difficult to accommodate everyone at one table for dinner. Sounds familiar?
Problem: Small dining room
For these customers, having everyone on the same table was “necessary”. Ideally they wanted to be able to accommodate 16 people comfortably. The problem was that the current dining room was a closed room of 10.5 x 12.5 feet with no possibility of expansion. At most, they were able to fit 12 people very comfortably in this room with the addition of two extension sheets and extra chairs. There was very little space to walk around the table. The children (not anymore) landed at the kitchen table.
Solution: Redesign the family room
On the other side of the house the family room was measuring 10.5 x 16.5 feet. The living room adjacent to the family room was just used for entertainment. Can you see where I’m going with this? Here is the case I have made for my clients to move the dining room function into the family room.
The family room is no longer needed for its original function as a family gathering area since customers have been sleeping empty.
2. The family room is located off the kitchen, so the proximity to the ease of catering is the same as the dining room.
3. The family room is the ideal size for a new dining area with capacity for 16 people.
4. Family room has the capacity to become a larger area of open concept by removing the separation wall between the family room and the living room.
5. Why not move the TV to the living room so that empty food lovers can enjoy their living room on a daily basis?
They were on board the idea, so I embarked on the preparation of furniture layout plan options, two with the separation wall between the family room and living room left in place, two with the wall removed. One option was to create a multi-purpose dining room by including a small seating area in front of the patio doors to enjoy the backyard. The dining table will be kept in a smaller area with stored papers. Then, before the arrival of the guests, the chairs of the sitting area will be moved to the living room and the table cards will open in place. My customers loved this multi-purpose option and eventually chose to leave the separation wall in place to keep the wall space for the newly acquired entertainment unit. They also decided that their old dining room could be redesigned as a main office / office space.
Convert Family Decor Room
Simply move the family room furniture to the outside and the furniture in the dining room, in fact not enough to reallocate the space. In order to create an elegant dining atmosphere, some changes are required in the decor. Here are some steps I recommend.
1. Lighting: Hold the electric to install the junction box for your chandelier. Make sure to install it where it will be hung above the center of the dining table and not simply in the middle of the room. Consider adding a hollow roof light in every corner of the room (about 18 “away from the walls), all of which should be dimmer.
2. Burner: Update an existing fireplace by removing the burner and reinstalling the ocean with elegant materials such as marble or granite. (One option is to replicate the kitchen countertop stone.) If your fireplace is burning wood think of a gas insert insert. Or consider removing the burner completely so that the buffet can take the lead on the focal wall.
3. Walls: Paint or wallpaper to add attention, warmth and drama.
4. Ceiling: Draw the ceiling shade wall color to increase the comfort factor.
5. Molds: Add crown molding and carry wooden panels to make this room a room with elegant principles. Add a wainscoting or iron chair to visually lower the height of the wall and help protect walls from wheelchairs to the back.
6. Flooring: from the wall to the carpet The carpet does not work in the dining room! Prove solid flooring to match what you already have elsewhere in the house. It will be easier to clean the spills and move the dining chairs back and forth. Although I am not a fan of the area’s carpets in the dining rooms, they do add a lot of warmth. Make sure that your area rug is large enough that the chairs are not caught half and half.
7. Furniture: Check to get another extension sheet for your current table or upgrade to a new one with the right size. If you buy new furniture, consider using slightly narrower chairs. Remember, additional seats can be spread around the house to replace office chairs or bedroom.
8. Balustrades: Install new floor coverings for windows or sliding glass doors.
9. Mirror: Add an elegant mirror above the fireplace to add sparkle and reflect the chandelier. If you have a ceramic cabinet, install a mirror behind the shelves.
10. Technical Accessories: Add a large piece of art opposite the fireplace or a large range of small tires. Add table runner, flower hub, candles and voila – a wonderful new dining room!
It is never easy to make a decision to move things around your home. But it can be rewarding and very exciting. However, it takes some planning and budgeting. Of course, when you think about any renovation, the old question has to come about how it affects the resale value of your home. So you may want to contact a real estate agent in your area. On the other hand, if you are not planning to sell your home, why not make it work for you?
These proposals are intended as a general guideline for converting a family room into a dining room, thus making better use of small dining room ideas.